The Miller's

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Inside Joke

The song in the video below is dedicated to my Autumn. We had a little "discussion" today that made me think of it - so here's to my dream girl...

I was just going to post this song for her, but why stop there. My sister posted a fun game on her blog about memories. So I am going to post it here for Autumn. It's called Memory Lane and all you do is leave a comment on this blog of one memory that you and Autumn had together. It doesn't matter if you know her a little or a lot, anything you remember!

Here's mine. Our first "date:"
It was July 4, 2000. I had been laying on the charm for about 2 months, and I finally got the courage to ask her out. So this is what I did. We were at work and a couple of us, Autumn included, went out to see the fireworks. A nice warm night, fireworks, it was the perfect moment. So I took a deep breath and said, "We should all go out to Denny's after work," thinking that only Autumn would respond affirmatively. She did. And then this other guy perks up and says he'll go too.
Now, a little background on this guy. The best way to describe him is to say that he didn't really understand the concepts of personal space, or tact, or other socially acceptable behavior. He told us he had suffered a serious head injury as an explanation for why he was the way he was, so we couldn't really just tell him to go away. It soon became obvious that he was interested in Autumn too.
Anyway, we go to Denny's (the three of us!) and this guy orders a full blown meal (who orders a real meal at Denny's in the middle of the night!) and it is clear that he is settling in for the long haul. Our conversations were cordial - we talked about our families, work, etc. - but after about 30-45 min (it seemed like forever - it could have been hours), I finally said, "Hey guy, isn't it about time you head home?" Autumn just looked at me as if she couldn't believe I had said it. I don't think he had even finished his hamburger yet. But he didn't take the hint. Finally, we all got up to leave and when he drove off, Autumn and I stayed in the parking lot and talked for a long time (something we did a lot in the months that followed in the parking lot of good ol' Sandy Regional)
Long story short, our first "date" was at a Denny's, around midnight, with a borderline creepy guy, oh and we were still in hospital scrubs so we probably smelled like old people. Nice.

11 comments:

Rachel said...

One thing I'll always remember about Autumn is when she introduced me to the wonders of steam cleaning. She is a sensitive girl, and when she saw how enthralled I was with her steamer, she let me clean her entire apartment. That is what I call a great friend.

Autumn said...

A few things Jeremy forgot about that eventful evening... First things first- this is the VERY first time Jeremy has admitted that this was our first date. Progress! Secondly, but also very important, our "third wheel" kept cracking jokes about bodily functions the whole time we were there. Can you feel the romance? Luckily I was already smitten.

Sally said...

Cute! So I remember meeting Autumn and thinking how awesome she was and cute and funny, also fun to play games with!

I'm glad you're now my sista! One of my favorite memories is the first Christmas you spent with the Millers and you put us all to shame with your enthusiastic responses to opening presents! I was so impressed and just loved you! Your laugh is my favorite and so contagious!!

The Tolboe family said...

The first time I met Autumn was at church but that wasn't the first time I saw here name. It just so happened that Jeremy and Autumn lived in the apartment on Slocum Heights before we did. We received their mail. I remember giving her the mail and we just chated. We didn't become real good friends until Jeremy's 3L and Mac's 2L. She is so awesome and fun to be with. See ya Saturday friend!

Mary Elizabeth said...

There are so many great memories when it comes to Autumn. Hikes, freesbie, playing games at the house. However some of my favorites were at girls camp with the 5th ward. One of our last years Autumn tried to convince us to "borrow" a leaders bra and run it up the flag pole before morning devotional. We decided against it but her enthusiasm for the prank is hard to forget.

Robyn DeGaetano said...

I have lots of good memories of just chatting it up together - about our anger management issues and our addiction to sweets. The first time I talked to Autumn was when we went visiting teaching together and I thought she was an uptight b****. As usual, I was wrong, and the next time we really talked was a year later at Oneida shores. It was the tail end of a play group when everyone else had gone home. Michael was a baby (only about three months old) and so Autumn was sporting Jeremy's shorts and an umbrella to keep the baby shaded. We talked for a long time just about life, and I discovered how wrong I was about her and what a neat person she was and that we were about to be friends - this time I was right! She is seriously one of my favorite people - I love her like a sister and I miss her so much!

JN said...

I think Autumn Rocks!! There are all the times just talkin and laughing about our kids and our passions (or obsessions :) And all the yummy dinners together. One memory that really stands out is swimming in Herndon, remember that?!

Unknown said...

I remember Autumn coming to my rescue when I was so sick, I could barely stand up. She rushed right over with me cuddled in a little ball on the floor and my baby (Tyler at the time) was screaming on the other side of the room. I could always call on Autumn. And I always loved our playdates!

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Yes, of course I remember those playdates - I just with we had had more before you left!

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Thanks, Autumn! We tried to make the most of it - I had no idea our travels would be so impressive to others! It's really not that hard to do - you just start researching what there is to do in your area, choose some things you'd like to see, set aside a vacation week, and go with it! Since that week is designated as vacation, you don't do any of the other day by day stuff, you pretend like you've gone away and just do vacation stuff - it's great! All of the fun, and way less of the expense. We definitely had a great time, and it was great exploring what was right here in our "backyard", so to speak. Also, while we were visiting some of the spots, we would pick up brochures they had for other stuff in the area, and got some ideas from that, too! Anyhow, I would recommend a staycation to anyone - it was such an adventure!

thatmormonlady said...

My favorite time with Autumn was... every time I was with her!! I was always most impressed that she was never ever afraid to invite over everyone to her apartment (which was the same as mine but I was always afraid mine was too small). Other things: AMAZING birthday cakes that we always got invited to share, FHE, and our little complex playgroup that was sometimes a trial of our patience.

Reading your blog makes me miss you all so much. I sure wish we had great friends right out our back door. Gosh, tons of great times.

Love you guys!