The Miller's

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day

So this post is more for Autumn and posterity than for anyone else, but feel free to read and comment...Warning, you may find yourself covered with cheese after reading this:




A little more than 7 1/2 years later and we're still falling in love. It is a true principle that you can't help but love the ones you serve. I, like the million other missionaries to have served, experienced it in Puerto Rico and will always feel a deep love for that place and its people. I am experiencing it now, as I try to be a good husband and father. It doesn't work out everyday, but I'd like to think I am getting better and more consistent in serving my family. I'm sure I'll be well into immortality before I completely figure it out (luckily for me, they're all stuck with me thanks to the Temple), but with each day my love for my little family deepens.

I've written before about our first date (July 4, 2000 - Denny's at midnight, with a third-wheel who couldn't take a hint...). The time between our first date and our engagement was a little...bumpy - I had a certain point of view about the status of our relationship that did not quite jive with Autumn's perspective. It got to the point where sometime in December of 2000, She told me that she'd had enough and that we shouldn't see each other anymore. It was so close to Christmas, and we had already bought presents for each other that we decided to get together one more time and exchange gifts. This last meeting was to take place at her house and I nervously drove over - I had bought her a set of Jane Austin books and made a little book shelf to display it on. If you know Autumn, it was pretty much the best gift ever. She had made me a very handsome nut-cracker (It was me! I was the nut-cracker!) with art supply accessories - she had even duplicated one of my paintings on the tiny nut-cracker's canvas. It was very cool.

I can't remember what we said while we unwrapped our presents, but I can definitely remember the awkwardness of it. I think she even told me (maybe on a different occasion) that she was hesitant to give me the gift because she had worked so hard on it and was actually quite proud of how it turned out. The whole ordeal took less than 30 minutes and then I was out the door. There was a decided knot in my stomach as I made my way back to the car. Was this really it? Was I okay with just letting it end and not seeing her ever again?

Before I knew it I was in my own driveway sitting in the car. I couldn't get out. No. This wasn't how it would end. I decided to go back and talk to her. I wasn't sure what I was going to say, but I remember praying about as hard as I ever prayed before. I was at the stop light around the corner from her house when the answer came. Image after image flooded my mind of what our future together could be. I was filled with such happiness as I saw us laughing together, spending time together, starting a family together. Together. There was no doubt after that moment, I knew I had found her.

When I got to her house, she was visibly surprised to see me. Again, I can't remember what I said, but whatever it was, it worked (either that, or it was the fact that she really didn't want to part with that stunning nut-cracker). I think we decided that very day we would get married, and we were officially engaged just about three months later (a story for another time), and married in the Salt Lake Temple on June 23, 2001, 10:40 AM. She looked so beautiful when I picked her up that morning and in the Temple, I could hardly believe that she would want to marry me...

Looking back at how we met and how our lives have unfolded, it seems so obvious that we were meant to be together (Yes I said it, "meant to be," because I know it is true). Although there were some trials along the way (mostly caused by my immaturity and weaknesses, okay...ALL caused by my immaturity and weaknesses), those images remain in my mind and bring me so much happiness that I can't help but smile. Some have been replaced with precious memories, and some new images have been added (like our grandchildren and serving a mission together). But always, we are together. The way we were meant to be, forever.

And so, as I try my best to be the man she deserves, I feel more love for her than I thought possible. Her smile is infectous. Her patience and devotion to me are precious gifts I hope I will never lose or take for granted. I love how funny she is, how she opens presents, and how she wants to make every reason to celebrate an event to remember. I love you Autumn with all my heart. I can't say it better than it has been said before, you are the joy and great love of my life. Happy Valentine's Day.

4 comments:

Sally said...

Thanks for making me cry! That is so sweet! I miss you guys!

Autumn said...

I looked all over the house for my Valentine card and here it is. Yet again, you have said just the right thing (as little tears stream). Thanks for being my sweetheart. I love you.
And now, I will spare our readers from any more cheese...here anyway.

Hannah said...

I'm turning into such a sap! I had chills and got teary! You and Autumn are just ADORABLE and I can't wait to see you guys in just a few months! Love you!

Taunya said...

What a sweet message! It is so fun hearing these stories. You guys are the best!